Monday, March 05, 2018

Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews

Title: Magic Breaks
Author: Ilona Andrews
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Kate Daniels # 7

Mass Market Paperback, 357 Pages
Publication: March 3, 2015 by Ace

Source: I received a review copy from the publisher in exchange for a honest review.

Buy|Amazon|B&N|

As the mate of the Beast Lord, Curran, former mercenary Kate Daniels has more responsibilities than it seems possible to juggle. Not only is she still struggling to keep her investigative business afloat, but she must now deal with the affairs of the Pack, including preparing her people for attack from Roland, a cruel, ancient being with godlike powers.

As Roland’s long shadow looms ever nearer, Kate is called to attend a gathering of leaders from Atlanta’s supernatural factions. When one of the Masters of the Dead is found murdered by a shapeshifter, Kate is given less than twenty-four hours to hunt down the killer. And this time, if she fails, she’ll find herself embroiled in a war that could destroy everything she holds dear...
Magic Breaks is the seventh book in the Kate Daniel Series and the end of the ARC according to the authors, which I can now see having read it. In this latest installment, Kate is left alone to deal with The pack and The People’s affair while Curran is called away on an assignment. A shifter killed a Master Vampire and Kate is sent to investigate or there would be an all out war between The People and The Pack which would bring in Hugh and Roland; something that Kate desperately wants to avoid.

I must say, looking back on it, this is probably the weakest novel of the series…even compared to the last book which many found to be silly with too much teenage angst going on. It’s still a good book overall but not the usual best I’ve come to expect from Andrews. Let’s start off with what I liked. Kate has always and will be a kick-ass heroine. Let that be known. She can hold her own no matter the circumstance she is thrown into. While it sucked that Curran wasn’t around for the majority of the story, it also spotlighted Kate and everything she’s capable of; and it showed readers, The Pack and everyone else that she can lead without Curran. And I loved that we got to see more of Derek and Ascanio, espeically Ascanio, our handsome, reckless Bouda, whom readers haven’t seen for awhile. I was so happy that he had plenty of page time. Derek and Ascanio together was a riot! I love their chemistry together and thanks to them, there were many laugh-out-loud moments. I think it’s safe to say that everyone has probably read this novel already if they follow the series; that one Ascanio scene had me on the verge of tears! I’ve become so attached to these characters, I can’t imagine ever loosing them. Talk about a close one! And Desandra, whom we met in the previous novel makes herself a regular as she travels with Kate. I must say, Desandra is starting to grow on me. I love her blunt, no-filter attitude; it brings a smile to my face.

Now, the things that I didn’t like. As many readers mention, Magic Breaks definitely felt like a filler novel with a lot of unnecessary scenes that didn’t really help progress the story line. With how everything started, The People accusing a shifter of killing one of their men and unless the culprit is capture, they risk an all out war…the ending turned out to be very anticlimactic. I read it last week and now I can’t really remember how it ended. That says a lot. And from the very start, we are told how scary and ruthless Roland is, a god among men. But I gotta say, he wasn’t what I expected. He seems so calm, logical, reasonable most of the time. This is the Roland’s first appearance and though he doesn’t seem so scary, we’ve yet to see what he’s truly capable of or exactly what his motives are involving Kate. Who knows, I could be totally wrong and he turns out to be the evil god Kate was warned about. Just gotta wait and see how things play out in the last three books!

Overall, another solid addition to the series but not without flaws. Looking forward to see what else is in store for Kate and the gang. 


No comments:

Post a Comment