Friday, March 30, 2018

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Title: Ready Player One
Author: Ernest Cline
Genre: Sci-Fi Fantasy
Series: Ready Player One # 1

Paperback, 374 pages

Publication: August 16, 2011 by Broadway Books

Source: Personal library


Buy|Amazon|B&N|


In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape. 

Ready Player One movie adaptation comes out today. I’ve been hearing a lot about the book since movie rights and production started but didn’t pick up the book until I saw the trailer. It looked pretty interesting, so I thought why not? Plus since I wanted to see the movie, I knew I had to read the book first. Bibliophile problems, amiright? And boy, am I glad I did! Ready Player One was so much fun, coupled with video games, 80’s and pop culture reference…it’s a nerd’s dream come true!

Cline has written one of the most clever and ambitious novels I’ve read in a long time. The world building was scary plausible and mesmerizing all at the same time. I loved how he incorporated all the movies, games and 80’s reference so perfectly within the story. Talk about major nostalgia. The premise and set up was really cool. I also loved the idea of a scavenger hunt and as everyone got closer to obtaining a key and moving beyond the gate, the race became even more intense. My favorite scene was definitely towards the end when Wade was RPG-ing the Monty Python’s Holy Grail movie, that was hilarious! As for the characters, I thought they were well-written and fully developed. Although there were moments when I just wanted to reach inside the book and scold Wade. I can only take so much inner monologue of self-loathing and self-deprecating before it gets old and annoying. Artemis was supposed to be this smart, kick-ass chick but I don’t know, I never warmed up to her character. I thought she was stuck up and had an air of superiority half the time. Not my favorite traits. H was probably the best character, he was a hoot and a genuine surprise at the end. I wasn’t expecting that reveal!

I can now see why this book received so many great reviews, they’re well deserved. I thoroughly enjoyed Ready Player One and am excited to hear that Cline is writing a sequel. If you’re looking for a great throwback to the 80’s, classic games and nerdy movies…you’ll love this book! I highly recommend it!



No comments:

Post a Comment